Friday, August 1, 2008

Module 4 Chapter 11 - Making a Speical Book Cover or Portfolio

Oh joy, I am back in business! I am glad to say I had not busted the Mr. camera - it just had an extra filter on the lens (who knew!) .

Sample 1




Sample 2




Sample 3


Sample 4













Sample 5




With guidance from Sian, I re-thought some of the ideas for the portfolio design, putting more emphasis on the texture and interest of the paper itself
and the integration of textures.

Here I try a few ideas: -

Sample 1. Shows an embedding initial. This is just a test piece and the colour of the letter is off, but I wanted more dimensionally to the piece.

Sample 2. I decided to add fibers.

Sample 3. The fiber grid was placed over handmade paper and paper pulp was added around the edges. I pressed the pulp into the fibers, but it did not adhere well.

Sample 4. I made another grid, which was more open. This grid was dipped into paper pulp - to coat it, then it was laid onto a sheet of pulp and pressed hard into the wet pulp. When dry, the edges of the paper were torn away, to reveal the fringed fibers of the grid. The machine stitching on the grid shows through the paper, as the dark red spots. I like the way the fibers are integrated into the paper and the way they poke out as a fringe.

Sample 5. Hand-stitching is added.

No comments: