Friday, August 29, 2008

From Australia














Dear friends, I am writing this, not from my home in Texas, but from Western Australia. This was a very sad trip to make, as my dear mother passed away on Monday (18 Aug 08) Although mum was 96 years of age, she still lived in her own home, still doing her own cooking and washing - a fiercely independent lady. The service was just as mum would have wanted it - simple and very meaningful. The small stone church, was lovely, again just that simple beauty. The church was full. The Priest was so caring and made the service very personal to mum. The cemetery is new and out in the country. It is surrounded by tranquil wooded fields, which, at this time of year are full of wild calla lilies. As mum was laid to rest I could hear the birds singing in the surrounding fields - mum will like that. After all the friends and neighbours had left my sister's home I felt a need to be by myself, so slipped away down to the beach (just a 2 minute walk). The sun was beginning to set over the sea - it seemed a beautiful ending to the day. I watched as the sun set and the colour of the sky changed to soft hues of pinks and blues, a gentle closing of the day.

5 comments:

Garnered Stitches said...

So sorry to hear of your loss, no matter of age it is sad to lose your Mother. my thoughts are with you.
best wishes

Karen Hurrell said...

Sorry to hear your sad news.

Susan D said...

I'm so sorry to hear you sad news. My thoughts are with you. What a nice place to be laid to rest.

Elizabeth Braun said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. Although she was 21 years older than my mum, they sound quite alike in being determinde to carry their own loads etc.=)

Jane said...

I am sorry to hear of your loss, it is never easy to lose a parent. Your description is so touching, I hope you are feeling the peace you describe.