Friday, January 14, 2011

My Christmas gift

I can't have been as naughty as I thought over the last year!    Santa put a very special gift under the tree  - a map embroidered on linen in tiny tiny cross-stitch.   The map is of England and Wales, showing all the counties and some towns.   The name of the lady/girl who stitched this piece is embroidered in the upper right cartouche,  with the date - 1789 and the place 'Brook Green House'.

I have since done a little research and found that Brook Green is an area of west London, not too far from where I grew up.  After the Reformation (King Henry VIII), the open expression of Catholic faith was forbidden, but slowly Catholic life returned to London and almshouses, as well as a school for young ladies were established by the Catholics in Brook Green.   I feel sure that my embroidered map was probably stitched by a pupil of this school.

Thank you Santa - you did a good job, I love it!

No comments: